Thursday, April 15, 2010

Work

It's a difficult thing. I'm currently typing my story, Chains, for English, and I think it's giving me carpel tunnel. It's about a girl, Hannah, whose mother, Mary Easty, is an accused witch at the Salem Witch Trials. It's such a difficult piece for me, not because it was a real event, and these are real people, but because of the strong, complex emotions that I get while writing. Here's an excerpt:

"Once the cups were drained, the kitchen was clean, and the Bibles were put away, she kissed me goodnight on the cheek, sending me off to bed with a terrible feeling in my gut for having lied. Would Reverend Paris see my shame? But then, another thought came with thinking about Reverend. Would the afflicted girls accuse someone else? Would they have a fit? Their fits terrified me, that someone would want to hurt them so badly that they would scream and writher with pain. It was heartbreaking to have to sit there and watch. The most prominent accuser, Ann Putnam, was also the youngest. She was an angelic child- big blue eyes, wispy blond hair. It was quite a shame that this was happening to her.
Crawling under my bed sheets, I remember the last fit I saw her have. During the trial of Bridget Bishop, she was seemingly flung from her pew in the courthouse, crying of being pinched and pricked by Bridget’s apparition. The judges pulled up her sleeves. Bright red marks her all over her arms, and she cried out, pointing to the other girls around her and saying they were being treated the same. The judges fluttered, pulling up the other girls sleeves. Ann was speaking the truth.
The head judge, William Stoughton, ordered Rebecca Nurse’s death. I saw it with my own eyes.

But my own eyes were growing heavy, and I succumbed to the darkness that was sleep.

The sound of chirping birds awoke me, the sunlight streaming through the glass like water. I climb out of bed and my nightgown, and into a somber, black dress. It is too beautiful for a day like this. This day, this 19th of July."

Rebecca Nurse is Mary Easty's sister, which makes her Hannah's aunt.

My mom thinks it's great, but she's my mom. It's like she been programmed to say that. Tell me what you think, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They always make me smile(: